Friday, July 8, 2011

What Heba learned from the custodian project

I guess custodians' experience was so useful to me as I tried to put
myself in their places,which was very good experience to me . I tried
to learn how they are doing their job, which for me seems very hard
job to be done by one person.

Heba before the project. She is on the far right with hijab.
Heba scrubs the walls of a classroom.
 
The most difficult part when I asked one of the custodians to tell me how to clean the walls of the class that required from me to sit on my knees and use all my strength that I
have and press hard on the sponge  to remove the dirt that makes me
feel so tired .  I felt how hard their job is and I was really in need
to take a break although this thing does not take more than 15 mins to
do this, but I was so exhausted after I finished cleaning part of the
wall of the class not the whole class.

Heba on the left listens intently as she gets trained.
 
Then, I asked one of the custodians how many classes he/she cleans per day? He said almost 6 to
7 classes along with corridors and bathrooms. Omg!! I felt so tired
after I finished only cleaning part of the wall of the class what
about cleaning the whole class and other classes along with
bathrooms !! I guess I will fail to do this alone.

Heba, Carrie, Bernardete, and Nahla clean the classrooms. 



The most exciting part was when one of the staff saw me wearing their clothes,
he never asked me before about my job or even about my studies,but I
noticed how he was looking at me in a very strange look .When I met him
the other day, he talked to me in a very strange way and he started to
refuse to help me in printing some papers that I need although he was
doing this to me before he saw me wearing this clothes. Very sad to
notice that people act differently when they knew that you are in
lower position than they are. Absolutely I didn't mention to him that
I'm doing my master's degree and this was a project, I just kept silent and I
acted as if nothing happened.Well, I don't like to say that, but I think he deliberately did this to me. Really I don't know why ? Very weird attitude.

Heba with other students and custodians. She is second from right front row. 

No comments:

Post a Comment