Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What did we think we would learn from the Custodian Project?

As part of the Community Based Learning Project, my students and I sat down and reflected on what we might learn from the project, or what we expected to gain from it. These thoughts were recorded on June 27, 2011. 

(Amira ) 
I hope the project can make them even more proud of their work and
help diminish the  gap between students and faculty on on hand and the custodians 
on the other. It is important that we take the project seriously so that they don't get a
wrong image. I am really excited to be part of this project and I
believe it would be a wonderful experience on the personal and
professional levels.

(Heba)

In fact, I guess I’m going to learn a lot form experiencing this thing
as I’m going to put myself in their places and I will experience all
good and bad things that they are facing during one day. Also, I will
try to experience how to do things in the right way which I consider
very good thing to learn new thing that you never know. I used to tell
myself everyday is a new day with new challenges, so at least I should
learn something new that is going to add to my life.
  
(Mostafa)
I think this experience will be useful to both of student and workers themselves.
Where it will make them feel that how the students and teachers loves
and respect them and their appreciation for the work they do.

(Rabab)

Being in their situation is a great experience  indeed. It is like when you fast to feel of starvation or walk to feel the suffering of ones who don’t have cars. This experience will let
me  feel of their efforts. Also, to make sure that without them we are in
danger of fatal diseases.finally , I will learn to be satisfied by all  properties I have and always to say “ Al7amd le Alla7” thanks God for  everything you grant me.

(Dr. Warigia Bowman)

I think that I will learn a lot from the project. I anticipate
learning how hard their job is. I think I will learn that I would
have a hard time doing their job. I am a good cleaner, and I actually am
able to teach my nanny about cleaning and organizing, but I think
their work must be quite hard, especially when it is hot. I also
think I would like to learn what they think about students, professors and
staff. I hope we can get really honest answers about that from them.

(Ann)

 By our community based learning project, we might be able to show
 careless staff and students that these people do exist. Besides,
 without those custodians, performance of students in their learning
 environment or staff in their working environment would be affected
 negatively. Furthermore, our exercise will make the custodians feel
 that may be they could not get a prestigious job, but their job is a
 very important one in terms of affecting the performance of other
 people at the same work an study place.

 (Bernardete)
 I think that the custodians’ work is very important, and it is a kind
 of one important piece in the University’s puzzle. This means that
 they are extremely important to make us feel comfortable studying and
 teaching. Therefore, they should be treated as human and essential
 part to make the University run well. This could be my great
learning; to understand that they are important and should be treated
as human being.

(Carrie)

What I think I will learn: While I have no reservations to performing
an uncomfortable or difficult task, I have not made much time to
contribute to the community lately.  Thus, I think it will be a good
way for me to "serve" someone else; either the Custodians, but
sharing in their work, or possibly the greater AUC community, but
sharing with them the message that the hierarchy needs to be broken and people
are equals.

No comments:

Post a Comment