Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Who Do We Think the Custodians Are?

As part of our project, I asked the students (and myself) to reflect on who we think the custodians are. These were our thoughts as recorded before the project began on June 27, 2011. 


(Amira)
 
What I really think or believe about the custodians is that their existence on campus is very important and mandatory. Their job is very crucial as they are responsible for the neat look of our campus. Also, I think that they are educated people, & some of them have bachelor degrees, but they did not find other job matching their degree, or even get better salary. Moreover, I think that they are satisfied and proud with their job and its work environment. However, they could not be happy with the attitude of some staff towards them, because some of the staff treat them in a bad manner.


(Shahad)


The custodians are those people who are educated with bachelor degree
and did not find a job the suitable to their degrees, so they choose
to work in this job rather than staying at home . They are also poor
people with large number of people in the family. They are not
satisfied with this job nor it salary but they  do not have other
choices.

(Amira)


I believe the custodians are educated. They probably have a diploma or
some other degree. I have watched many of them while working and they
look quite satisfied and content. I believe they are proud of their
work and enjoy the work environment.

(Heba)


Everyday day I deal with custodians and I think they are very helpful
and very kind. Sometimes I feel with great sympathetic toward them as
they are working so hard throughout the day. All they want from you
whether you are student or staff just treat them in a very nice and
respectful way and this is exactly what I always try to do by thanking
them for helping me or their offering to help me which means a lot to
me.

 (Rabab) 

 Can you imagine our streets without cleaning workers? Can you bear a
 day if they get out for a strike? I believe that The AUC custodians
 are helpful, hard workers and discipline workers. Simply, our life
 without them is unbearable. Even if they face some discrimination
 concerning their benefits and rights, they work in a kind and
 discipline manner. 

(Dr. Warigia Bowman) 

 I think that most of the custodians have not completed secondary
 school. I think that they are literate, however. I think that they
 live in poor neighborhoods like Maadi Arab. when I see the rows and
 rows of red brick houses from the highway, on the way from rehab to
 downtown, I imagine the custodians live in them. I also think that
 they are very religious, and that they voted yes in the referendum. I
 think that they live in a house with many relatives so that they can
 pool their resources.

(Ann Amir) 

 I think custodians help all students and staff to have a hygienic
 place to study and work at. Also, I think that custodians might be
 less fortunate people since they were not capable of finding a
 prestigious work that may suit their education. This is because I
know that some of them could have the chance to graduate from colleges. 


 (Bernardete) 

 I think that the custodians are educated people in terms of school
 degree, at least some of them. But because they did not find a job
 that matches with their level and qualifications, they are somehow
 frustrated. Then, I think that they deserve our attention to
 compensate them for this and to make they believe that every job is
 important, so should be value. Overall, the work they do is not less
 important, and do not reduce them to the inferiority. On the
contrary, it is a different kind of work from the staff, faculty and
students. 


(Carrie) 

 I think their work is valuable, because it is necessary, but not
 something that I have the time to do myself;  they help me on a daily
 basis providing me with clean bathrooms and study space.  Without the
 custodians, my experience on this campus would be uncomfortable, and
 unclean.  Thus, my productivity would be lessened, and I would not be
 able to make the most of my studies.  I am able to see the important
 function that the Custodians play in my life, and thus, I treat them
 as a highly important member of the AUC community, who are deserving
 of the same kindness and respect as Lisa Anderson or a professor.

No comments:

Post a Comment