Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What did I actually learn from the custodian project?

These are my comments. These are the things that I, Warigia Bowman, learned from the custodian project. I am waiting for some comments from my students, to see what they learned. But here are my thoughts.

Dr. Bowman with Leadership students before work commences.

First of all, I learned that my students can come up with great ideas on their own. The way I remember it, and I could be wrong, this project was almost entirely their idea. They started out by baking cookies for the custodians. We talked about the fact that baking cookies may not meet the community based learning guidelines, and we went from there. All I did was ask questions. So, the credit for developing this project goes to the students.

Dr. Bowman and students leave their privileged world.




Second, I learned that the work of the custodians is very difficult. I do clean the toilets at my own home, because in the US, we do not have house help. But usually, I clean the two bathrooms in my home about once a week. By contrast, the custodians have to clean seven bathrooms per shift. And that is only one person cleaning all those bathrooms. During the project, it took three of us to clean one bathroom. We had to empty the trashcans, clean the toilets, clean the counter, clean the mirror, and mop the floor. I cannot believe that one person does all of this in one day. In addition, I got the sense that the bathrooms had been pre-cleaned for us, the toilets were pretty clean already before I cleaned them.

Dr. Bowman scrubs the toilets carefully.



Dr. Bowman's glove disintegrates because the chemicals used in cleaning are so strong.
Third, I think the chemicals that the custodians are using are very strong. After I completed the project, I have had a nagging cough. We used R 1 and R3 to clean the toilets, R 7 to clean the counters, and something else to clean the mirrors. In addition, the gloves we were given were not strong enough. One of my gloves was burned through by the chemicals. After we complained, we were given stronger gloves. But I think it is important that the custodians wear good gloves, and that they are given masks as well. In general, it is my observation that Occupational Safety and Health at AUC could be improved. The custodians working conditions are not an exception to this.

Dr. Bowman tells Mostafa the manager that the custodians need better gloves.



Fourth, I was happy to have the custodians be the teachers and trainers, and for us to be the students. Actually, I learned many things about cleaning. I learned that putting the trashcan on the counter is unhygienic. I learned a new better way to clean the mirrors, I also learned how to use the water vacuum. The students in the class and the custodians are close to the same age, so it was fun to see them make friends.

Students sit laughing with the custodians. 


All in all, I enjoyed my experience, and I gained a new respect for the hard work of the AUC custodians.

WMB

No comments:

Post a Comment